Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Oceans Apart

There’s an ebb and flow between us
Sometimes I wish would find equilibrium
In the unbalance
I'm never sure exactly
What you’re thinking
How you’re feeling
What direction you’re moving
And whether I’m invited
Compounded when you’re far away
Sadness or confusion or contemplation
Over the miles on the phone
I want to look into your eyes
To see the tilt of your head
Which of your smiles you’re wearing
How your hands are moving
When you’re in my zip code
I just want to be where you are
Regardless of what else is going on
And that’s not complex at all
But time and space meddle
With my sense of who you are
And who I am separate from you
Some days, I just want to sever the connection
To find solid ground again
To avoid the waves and the tide
But I never do
Because that feeling comes and goes
Like everything else between us

No comments: